Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Precious Gems

     Sam got me going on a show called Mine Hunters- I started on Hulu and went through all eight episodes thus far. I am usually not a big fan of reality TV, because it is usually not reality. It is usually scripted and edited to favor some, make a goat of others. This show is somewhat different.


  • They show the triumphs, but also show the screw-ups- and all the team members make those screw-ups.
  • Usually when something on a reality show seems significant, it's the only thing that will work. Here, I saw something the looked significant, and they never went back to it.
  • I learned a lot to respect about the gem trade, which I have considered to be kind of the ultimate artificial value system. The intrinsic worth of gemstones is based on how rare they are and how much they are desired. Quality is judged on invented and agreed-upon values of clarity, cut, and color.
  • I learned how each typed of stone hunted has it's own particular dangers- earthworks collapsing, suffocation, drowning, bandits, soldiers...
  • I learned how fruitless a hunt can be, for even common stones.
     I Learned that precious things are measured in Carats. In that light, I would like to reveal a precious, flawless 310 carat jewel. See how he sparkles and glints.






No comments:

Post a Comment