Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Patchwork Quilt

This started off to be a musing about some music, ended up being some thoughts about how we wind up carrying pieces of other people with us for life.

     We collide against other people, like cars in traffic, and leave tastes and behaviors like traded paint. My first serious girlfriend, who became my first wife left me with a love of Rush, a daughter, and some reinforced and fortified insecurities. Sam imbued upon me the love of birds, odd videos, and a better understanding of myself, good, bad and ugly.

     What brought this up was that I found myself listening to Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Tarkus, followed by Triumvirat, Spartacus. The same person (who I decline to identify here) introduced me to both of those, and in fact guided me to the Who, comic books, and a lot of my other lifelong loves.

     I'm not really close with that person any more, we are both self absorbed in incompatible ways, but the pieces he left behind on me, like a paintscrape on my soul, I wouldn't trade for all the buffing Maaco could do. For the pieces left behind, thanks.

     Thanks for every little collision, fellow travelers, every one of you. Good dents and bad, you helped to form my character.

2 comments:

  1. An interwoven unique blanket is a bedcover in which the top layer comprises of bits of fabric sewn together to shape a design. Originally, this was to make full utilization of left-over scraps of fabric, yet now fabric is frequently purchased uncommonly for a particular configuration. Fabrics are currently regularly sold in quarter meters (or quarter yards in the U.S.). (A "fat quarter" is one square meter (or one yard by the width of the fabric, commonly 42-44") collapsed into four and cut along the folds, subsequently giving a moderately square bit of fabric 50 cm on a side, rather than purchasing a fourth of a meter off the roll, bringing about a long thin piece that is just 25 cm wide)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinatingly informative comment that had nothing whatsoever to do with the post it was attached to.

    ReplyDelete