Search This Blog

Friday, July 19, 2019

Friday Funnies: Unknown Etymologies

     Been a while since I have laid down a Friday Funnies post- a friends Facebook post got me started on this- these are origins of some words you may not know- Thanks, Harold Blulite for getting me going.


Bamboozled- Verb- To Confuse or con someone into buying asian plants from the grass family

Discombobulated- Adjective- To be confused and puzzled about the fact that Robert is no longer here

Cattywampus- Adjective- Thrown askew, by a fight between some cats and a fictional snowbeast from Star Wars

Lollygag- Verb- To dawdle, but quietly because one has a large piece of hard candy attached to a stick in ones mouth

Skedaddle- Verb- To leave quickly across the snow on two thin pieces of wood

Arbitrary-Adjective- A capricious or needless choice to eat at Arby's-Example: Mr Smith arbitrarily insisted his Vegetarian sister have lunch with him at Arby's because they have the meats

I had some dental work done yesterday and ended up in this conversation at 4:30 AM- This is not my weirdest ever conversation with my roommate, nor hers with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment