Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2017

Monday Movie Musings- The Walking Dead

     News over the weekend is that George Romero Passed at the ripe age of 77- He was considered by many to be the father of the American style zombie film. I Have seen Night of the Living Dead, none of the others. Before that news though, I had watched a few this week that were not his.

     Bubba Ho-Tep- not really a zombie movie, the titular character is actually a mummy. The tagline is "the King of Rock and Roll Vs. the King of the Dead".



     I think Bruce Cambell really enjoyed playing the aging Elvis, the movie is more of a character piece than a true horror film. reflective and moody, but wht I got watching it this time was that everyone seemed like they were really having a good time doing the film- a true labor of love. there is talk of a sequel, but they can't seem to decide what it would be about...
Favorite Quote:
Elvis: Ask not what your rest home can do for you. Ask what you can do for your rest home.
JFK: Hey, you're copying my best lines!
Elvis: Then let me paraphrase one of my own. Let's take care of business.
JFK: Just what are you getting at, Elvis?
Elvis: I think you know what I'm gettin' at Mr. President. We're gonna kill us a mummy.

     Shaun of the Dead... I'm going to say the first real Zombie Spoof. The movie that taught us that the most defensible place in a zombie attack is the local pub.

Image result for shaun of the dead poster

      A Bizarre fusion of romantic Comedy and zombie horror, this chronicle of a slacker-cum-hero put Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on my personal radar, and I have enjoyed the other collaborations I have seen, such as Paul and Hot Fuzz. It also introduced me the the oddball filmmaking of Edgar Wright.
Favorite Quote:
[repeated line]
Various: You've got red on you.

But good as this one is, it in no way meets the level of bizarre that is...

     Fido: A charming tale about a boy and his pet zombie...
Image result for fido film
     What can I say about this one??? the casting is brilliant, as is the 1950's-ish world where everyone who dies comes back. Billy Connolly is amazing as Fido, and there is Implied necrophilia as well as overt necrophilia...Make sure you pack your head-casket for this one.
Favorite Quote: 
Helen Robinson: I'm pregnant.
Bill Robinson: Oh, I'm sure it's nothing. You're just gaining a little weight.
Helen Robinson: [puts his hand on her belly and giggles]

Bill Robinson: I just don't think on my salary I can afford another funeral.

     To finish off this heady mix, ZombieLand

     A Zombie Film with all the attendant tropes and gore, this is also a film that comes to fruition with the survivors forming a family. Another plus on this is all of the characters evolved in some positive way through their relationships with the others. Always a pleasure to see  in any film. The neurotic becomes more daring, the cold and closed off, more trusting and warmer.
Favorite Quote:
Columbus: When Tallahassee goes Hulk on a zombie, he sets the standard for "not to be fucked with".

Of the four, I think the one that is my favorite pop-in-watch-anytime is the last one- it has more feel good moments than the others. Plus, I understand what it is to be dying for a Twinkie...

No comments:

Post a Comment