Search This Blog

Monday, August 28, 2017

Monday Media Musings:Pride in Heritage

     So yesterday Sam and I took in "the Hitman's Bodyguard" and without spoiling, a few points:

HitmansBodyguard.jpg


  • It's a more thoughtful and nuanced take on morality and how decisions of the past cast shadows on the future than most action comedies and more than a lot of dramas as well. 
  • Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson have amazing screen chemistry. Sam with Samuel L. Jackson and Salma Hayek.
  • Considering that Ryan Reynolds is usually the smart-ass, watching him play straight man to Samuel L. Jackson was amazing. 
     Now on to my Main subject. 

     Among the movies in my collection, is the dubiously received "So I Married an Axe Murderer" This movie has it's ups and downs, but two things struck me upon my recent re-watching. 


     First, every person in that film seems like they had a really good time making it. Every character in the movie has some little odd quirk or personal touch from the too-nice police captain of Alan Arkin to the Pilot played by Steven Wright with only a tenuous grasp on reality, to Charles Grodin's Sullen and taciturn owner of the car that Tony the detective tries to commandeer.

     Second, it reminded me of another, far more successful movie based upon one character:


     I would like to see Stuart McKenzie from "So I Married an Axe Murderer" in a conversation with Kostas "Gus" Portokalos from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Someone should make that movie. Here you have two men with a fierce and (considering recent events here in the U.S.A.) healthy pride in their heritage to the point where it's become almost the single focusing aspect of their personality. Add to that their love of their families and you have almost the same man from two different cultures. 

     Just a Haggis for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment