Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Echoes from Another Being

      Spoiler Alert- I have a parrot. That is really no secret, if you have been paying the slightest attention to this blog.

     My constant amazement, and I am sure the amazement of any other Parronts out there is how my words are returned to me and in what form.

     I recently posted a list of everything I could think of that Tango says, and that is just the words- He also imitates the sound of water dripping to let me know he wants anything from a shower to a fresh bowl of water. He also imitates the sound of the Velcro on my cell phone case for dark and secret purposes of his own.

     Last night he hit me with a new echo, and I had to share. So to give a little history, I taught him early on that if he is on my shoulder and I am going to bend over or move suddenly, that "hang on" means to make sure he is in a secure spot and watch for changes. Needless to say, he does so, otherwise I could not be said to have "taught" this. I mentioned in my prior post that "come on" from him means he wants me to pick him up and Uber him around the house on my shoulder.

     Last night at the outset of one of these trips he ran over, leaped onto my arm and said "Hang on" as distinctly as you please.

    Side Note: my roommate heard him laugh for the first time Sunday. Tango has a sharp, infectious laugh- sort of a "Henh!..... henh!.... henh!" and he can pretty much always get me laughing, which gets him laughing harder. Sam heard this..."Is that him laughing?" Yep. "that's hysterical!"

     And get this- it is real laughter- not just him imitating what is going on- he has figured out that this is how humans express glee (not Glee), and when he finds something funny, he expresses it the same way.

     Tango- each day is a new adventure and a new experience. A new chance to tell him "No, you cannot eat the book"

No comments:

Post a Comment