Search This Blog

Monday, November 27, 2017

Monday Media Musings: Archaeology



     Saw Coco, yesterday, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The Frozen short feature beforehand however was...sadly uninspired. The lackluster musical numbers really did not make proper use of Idina Menzel's fantastic voice. Or to put it the way Sam did..."I wasn't interested until everything caught on fire"

    Coco was visually stunning, an excellent story, well performed... nothing bad to say. Our theory is that Disney thought that a Frozen short before Coco might bring in more audience. It appears to be the other way around, in that people are grudgingly sitting through Olaf to see Coco. Sorry Olaf. Also... Why the HELL does Elsa need a fur collar on her dress? in the first movie, she literally made herself a dress out of ice. Animators, take note: The cold never bothered her anyway.

     So I was musing today upon Archaeology. The study of the past. In this case, the study of my past.

     Saturday, I bought the Lego Batman movie. Being me, I wanted to re-watch The Lego Movie before I peeled the shrink wrap off Batman. No problem, right?

    Problem. My DVD filing system is approximate, rather than precise. There are areas for Superhero/comic movies, for westerns, for Sci Fi... and beyond that the waters grow murkier. So there is an area where animation is supposed to go, but things don't always make it back there. Also, to draw an Indiana Jones metaphor, move the wrong thing and the entire temple comes down on you. Also, lots of poisoned darts.

     So I wind up doing media archaeology, trying to remember and determine what I watched or moved around recently, to figure out where in the DVD strata what I am seeking lies. is it lost in the Cretaceous with Jurassic park et al? or perhaps in the age of legends with Your Highness and Stardust and Kull? Has it gotten lost in the far future, with A.I. and Stargate SG-1?

     I finally found it in the back of the shelf, on top of westerns, where ( and I must emphasize this) I had already looked three times previously.

     The end sum? I either need to be a better organizer, or invest in more fedoras and price a bullwhip.

     Throw me the idol, I give you the whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment