Last Sunday, Sam and I caught Thor: Ragnarok
The second film was Baby Driver, a film not even on my radar until Sam rented it.
And then there was the film I really wanted to like...
What I liked:
- the action scenes; there was no problem with those at all.
- Every time Idris Elba was on screen. The man has a stage presence that is awesome.
- Matthew McConaughey was fun to watch as the man in black, even if I was still picturing him in Dallas Buyers Club
What I didn't:
- A muddled story that relies more on action sequences than character to drive it.
- A mix of western, fantasy and sci-fi that doesn't really make sense. There was so much material here, as there is in most King novels that they could have built a more convincing mythology.
To paraphrase the movie...
I do not Make a film with my marketing crew. He who Makes a film with his marketing crew has forgotten the face of his father. I direct with my heart.