Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Birdwatching from my Civic

     We added a new bird to our list of oddities seen out in the Denver area today; Previously, we have seen tons of Canada Geese, Mallard Ducks, Magpies, Starlings, Crows, Ravens and Blackbirds. We have occasionally seen Double Crested Cormorants, Snowy Egrets(which you can only see once*), Herons, Anhinga, Coopers Hawks, and Eagles, both Bald and Golden. and one late night Sam was buzzed by a Great Horned Owl

(*because if you see one again, it's a ReGret)

     But up until today, we had never seen Vultures



   I initially thought Ravens(Big Ravens!) but Sam said we needed to go back for a better look. there were about 5-7 Turkey Vultures hanging around a prairie dog Colony off of Kipling and Quincy. they were rather Shy around us(and I guess you don't want a vulture being too friendly...) so this is the best I could get picture wise

this is an artists rendering of what they might look like a lot closer and computer generated


Update- I updated this picture- it never looked right until I really futzed with it. Now I'm Happy

1 comment:

  1. Turkey Vulture, retiring and shy.
    his sly look waits for you to die...

    (a short poem by PB)

    ReplyDelete